HOW TO PASSWORD A FOLDER IN WINDOWS OS
Password protection is a method that allows you to protect your data set by assigning it a password. which another user cannot read,access change, or delete your data set is therefore secure.
What is file folder encryption?
Filesystem-level encryption, often called file-based encryption, FBE, or file/folder encryption, is a form of disk encryption where individual files or directories are encrypted by the file system itself.
To password protect a folder in Windows 10, you’ll need to open the folder’s “Properties” menu.
- There’s no way to recover a folder’s password if you forget it, so make sure you write the password down somewhere.
- Before you password protect a folder, you should copy the files within to an external hard drive or other source, so you can still access them if you lose the password.
- You can only password protect folders in the Pro version of Windows 10 it’s not available in Windows 10 Home.
In nearly all cases, you can only access folders on a Windows computer once you’re logged into your user account. But if multiple people use the same account on your computer maybe you share it with your family this leaves your folders open for snooping.
There’s dozens of apps that let you encrypt your folders. But luckily, Windows offers its own built-in options for password protecting folders.
It’s totally free and easy to password protect a folder in Windows. However, there are a few downsides.https://7c0feafb4a5df152e4bf340d498555ab.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html
The first is that you need to be running Windows 10 Pro Home version won’t let you. The second is that once you set the password, there’s no way to recover it if you forget it.
Here’s how to password protect a folder on your PC.
How to password protect a folder in Windows
1. Open Windows Explorer and find the folder you want to password protect, and then right-click on it.
2. Select “Properties.”You need to select this option from the pop-up window that appears.
3. Click “Advanced.”You can find this option at the bottom right of the new dialog box. Melanie Weir/Business Insider
4. At the bottom of the Advanced Attributes menu that appears, check the box labeled “Encrypt contents to secure data.You can also compress your folder to reduce its size while encrypting it. Melanie Weir/Business Insider
5. Click “OK.”
6. Upon returning to the main window, click “Apply.”
7. On the “Confirm Attribute Changes” window, choose between “Apply changes to this folder only” or “Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.”You can encrypt only the main folder or the subfolders and files contained within it.
8. Select “OK.”
9. A notification prompting you to back up your file encryption key will appear. Click “Backup now.”
10. Insert a USB flash drive to your computer, and follow the on-screen instructions to create your encryption certificate and export to the USB drive.