Computer Booting Problems And Solutions
WHAT IS BOOTING AND ITS TYPES?
In computing, booting is the process of starting a computer. It can be initiated by hardware such as a button press, or by a software command. After it is switched on, a computer’s central processing unit (CPU) has no software in its main memory, so some process must load software into memory before it can be executed.
Booting is also the process of restarting a computer or its operating system software. … Booting is of two types :1. Cold booting: When the computer is started after having been switched off. 2. Warm booting: When the operating system alone is restarted after a system crash or freeze.
Why is booting required?
Booting is required because,hardware doesn’t know where the operating system resides and how to load it. Need a special program to do this job – Bootstrap loader. E.g. BIOS – Boot Input Output System.
TYPES OF BOOTING
There are two Types of Booting
1) Warm Booting: when the System Starts from the Starting or from initial State Means when we Starts our System this is called as warm Booting. In the Warm Booting the System will be Started from its beginning State means first of all, the user will press the Power Button , then this will read all the instructions from the ROM and the Operating System will b Automatically gets loaded into the System.
2) Cold Booting: The Cold Booting is that in which System Automatically Starts when we are Running the System, For Example due to Light Fluctuation the system will Automatically Restarts So that in this Chances Damaging of system are More. and the System will no be start from its initial State So May Some Files will b Damaged because they are not Properly Stored into the System.
6 PROCESSES IN BOOTING A COMPUTER
- 1: BIOS and Setup Program
- 2: The Power-On-Self-Test (POST)
- 3: The Operating System (OS) Loads
- 4: System Configuration
- 5: System Utility Loads
- 6: Users Authentication
Step 1: BIOS and Setup Program
- ROM (read-only memory): it is a permanent and unchanging memory also
- BIOS (basic input/output system ): the part of the system software that includes the instructions that the computer uses to accept input and output
- Load: to transfer from a storage device to memory. The ROM loads BIOS into the computer’s memory
- Setup program: a special program containing settings to control hardware. Furthermore, the program can only be accessed while the BIOS information is visible
Step 2: The Power-On-Self-Test (POST)
- POST (Power-On Self-Test): a series of tests conducted on the computer’s main memory input/output devices, disk drives, and the hard disk.
- BIOS conducts Power-On-Self-Test to check the input/ output system for operability.
- The computer will produce a beeping sound if any problem occurs. An error message will also appear on the monitor
Step 3: The Operating System (OS) Loads
BIOS searches for the operating system
- Setting in CMOS: complementary metal oxide semiconductor determines where to look for the operating system.
- In this step, the operating system’s kernel is also loaded into the computer’s memory
- The operating system takes control of the computer and begins loading system configuration information.
Step 4: System Configuration
- Registry: a database to store information about peripherals and software
- Peripheral: a device connected to a computer
- Drive: a utility programme that makes peripheral devices function properly
- The operating system’s registry configures the system.
- In this step, drivers are also loaded into memory
Step 5: System Utility Loads
- System utilities are loaded into memory
- Volume control
- Antivirus software
- PC card unplugging utility
Step 6: Users Authentication
- Authentication or user login occurs
After all this process, the user interface starts, enabling user interaction with the computer and its programs also.
COMPUTER BOOTING OR START UP PROBLEMS
Common Windows Startup Issues
1. Laptop Won’t Turn on
You press the power button but your HP/Dell/ASUS/Lenovo laptop won’t turn on at all? You checked the power source, connection and everything, but still cannot figure out the reason? This issue likely occurs when a piece of hardware has failed or causing a problem.
2. Computer Stuck on Black Screen after Startup
Many users have posted on the Tech forum that their computer screen went to black with a loading circle after booing up. Virus attack, incompatible software, not enough storage and hardware broken are all the possible causes of this issue.
3. Cannot Boot Windows from USB Drive
Some people are used to creating an external bootable drive to install Windows system. However, not everyone can do this successfully. When the drive is burnt incorrectly or the files are corrupt, then you are unable to reinstall system.
4. Computer Stuck on BIOS Boot Screen
Quite a few people also encountered computer got stuck at the BIOS screen from startup. Some even worse, all the keyboard functions are not recognized at the same time. There might be something wrong in the connection among different motherboard that causing the stuck.
5. Windows 7/8/10 Hangs on Welcome Screen
When you start your PC, it shows the windows logo and then freezes on the welcome screen forever. You have to turn off the computer and restart it again, same problem still happens. This is a pretty annoying issue as you cannot use your device at all. But don’t worry, you’ll find the solution in this post today.
6. Boot Manager Boot Failed
Turn off your computer when its freeing or running slow and then turn on it but only seeing a “Windows Boot Manager boot failed” error message on the screen? This problem occurs when the boot manager compares 2 device signatures incorrectly.
7. Windows Boot Device Not Found
Power on your PC but get a pop-up error code “boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk”. This error code has been discussed a lot in the Windows Community and the causes are really diverse. Wrong boot order in the BIOS, hard disk connection problem, system files damaged are all likely lead to this issue.
8. Computer Screen White at Startup
Desktop screen is entirely white with some pixels and the cursors reported by many Windows 10 users. While the outdated GPU driver may cause the screen go crazy, a malware called Trojan Reveton should also be noted.
Solutions to Fix Windows Boot Problems
1. Check Everything and Restart Computer
When computer is unable to boot normally, check all the connections on your computer. Such as power connection, keyboard, mouse etc. Take the battery out and put it back again, then restart your computer.
2. Change The BIOS Order in BIOS
For those who keep getting error codes related to BIOS, you can enter the BIOS screen to set the wrong order correctly.
- Start your computer and press certain key repeatedly, you can find the certain key from the pop-up window.
- Now you can check the boot order from the BIOS setup Utility screen, use the arrow keys to adjust it.
- Press F10 to save the changes and then exit. Restart your computer.
3. Boot Computer from Safe Mode
Safe mode is an easy way to restart computer, but some of the functions will be disabled. Here’s how you can do it:
- Restart your computer and press “F8” to enter the advanced troubleshooting screen.
- Choose “Advanced Options” and then select “Startup Settings”.
- Then you’ll see a list of options, choose “Enable Safe Mode” and click “Restart”.
- You’ll see a version of “Advanced Boot Options” menu, press “4” to enter safe mode.
4. Fix Windows Startup Issues with Windows Boot Genius
If your computer still cannot run well after trying the methods above, you can try Windows boot genius This professional tool is designed to boot any stuck or crashed Windows 10/8/8.1/7 laptop or desktop without wiping any existed files.
- Download and install the program on any workable computer, inset a blank CD/DVD/USB drive and launch the program, click “Burn” to create a bootable disk.
- Then take out the USB drive and insert it into the one you cannot start up, restart your computer and press F12 to enter startup settings. From the “Boot” menu, choose the drive you just burnt as the first boot device. Press F10 to save the changes and the PC will boot from the drive.
- Choose “Windows Rescue” and choose the proper options from the left category. For example, if you encountered black/blue screen, windows frozen, choose “Crash on loading bar” and then follow the instructions to finish the troubleshooting steps.
5. Reinstall Windows System
6 There is a powerful tool called HIREN’S BOOT CD.this software can be used to boot and solve all computer boot problems
Well, the final resort to fix Windows booting problems is reinstalling system. If you have created a bootable disk, just use it.
Once the installation disk is created, restart your PC and boot from it follow the instructions to customize setup preferences.
This post has gathered the most common computer boot problems and clarified the some easy fixing tricks. If you think the methods introduced above are really useful, don’t forget to share them with your friends. so that others can benefit from it.