WHAT IS FILE ZILLA?
FileZilla is a free and open-source, cross-platform FTP application, consisting of FileZilla Client and FileZilla Server. Client binaries are available for Windows, Linux, and macOS, server binaries are available for Windows only.
What is the use of FileZilla?
FileZilla is a powerful and free software for transferring files over the Internet. It is a very popular FTP client and is used by webmasters from all over the world. Here you can download FileZilla software. With SiteGround you get unlimited FTP access and unlimited FTP accounts.
FEATURES OF FILE ZILLA
Among others, the features of FileZilla include the following:
- Easy to use
- Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X and more
- IPv6 support
- Available in many languages
- Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
- Tabbed user interface
- Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
- Drag & drop support
- Configurable transfer speed limits
- Filename filters
- Directory comparison
- Network configuration wizard
- Remote file editing
- HTTP/1.1, SOCKS5 and FTP-Proxy support
- Logging to file
- Synchronized directory browsing
- Remote file search
Advantages of FTP clients
- Allows you to transfer multiple files as well as directories
- The ability to resume a transfer if the connection is lost
- The ability to add items to a “queue” to be uploaded/downloaded
- Many FTP clients have the ability to schedule transfers
- No size limitation on single transfers (browsers only allow up to 2 GB)
- Many clients have scripting capabilities through command line
- Most clients have a synchronizing utility
- Faster transfers then HTTP
- Supported on almost all hosts
Disadvantages FTP clients
- Usernames, passwords and files are sent in clear text
- Filtering active FTP connections is difficult on your local machine (passive is preferred)
- Servers can be spoofed to send data to a random port on an unintended computer
- Hard to script jobs
- TLS 1.2 not always supported over https
- Easy for inexperienced users to wipe out work (per Sam Williamson at Aims Media Glasgow)
- Inconsistency/inability to track what has been uploaded on the remote system (per John Chapin at Capital Technology Services)
How to upload files using the FileZilla FTP client
Once you have the FileZilla client downloaded and activated on your computer, enter your domain name in the Host field or you can use the account’s IP address. The username and the password you need to type in are the same as the ones you created in your Site Tools > Site > FTP Accounts. The FTP port is 21. Then, to connect, press on Quickconnect.
You will be connected to your hosting account and on the right side of the FTP client window, you will see a list of all the files and folders on your account.
From the right panel of the FTP client navigate to the folder on your account in which you want to upload the new files, for example – public_html.
Then, select one or more files from the left side panel (your computer) to be uploaded and right click on them. From the menu that shows up, click on Upload.
The transfer will automatically be initiated. Wait for the upload to complete, after which the uploading of these files will be logged in the Successful Transfers tab at the bottom panel.
How to download files using the FileZilla FTP client
To download files from your hosting account to your computer, first connect to the hosting account similarly to when you want to upload files. On the left side panel navigate to the location on your computer where you want to download the files. On the right side panel navigate to the folder on your hosting account from where you want to download the files and select the ones you want to download. Right-click on them and choose Download.
The download of the files will begin automatically. Once it is completed you will see the downloaded files on the desired folder on your computer.
Drop your comment