Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence is a comprehensive interdisciplinary program that integrates the study of artificial intelligence with the study of human cognition. It covers topics from the realms of language, reasoning, learning, vision, and human-human and human-technology interaction. It also deals with ethical and moral aspects of AI.
How is it different from psychology and neuroscience?
Cognitive science is definitely using the concepts of psychology and neuroscience but it is more specific to the human mind. While psychology concentrates on human behavior and mind in its conscious as well as unconscious state, cognitive science is more about processes of the mind. It is a subset of psychology.
Coming to neuroscience, it is genuine biology that studies the neural tissue and maps the presence of stimuli in parts of the brain during activity. It is the study of the brain in its physiological and anatomical capacity. Cognitive science, on the other hand, is more concerned with the time it takes for the brain to react to stimuli.
Artificial Intelligence in Cognitive Science
Cognitive science is an explicitly interdisciplinary field that has participation from AI, but also from linguistics, philosophy, psychology, and subfields of other social and biological sciences.
Cognitive Computing focuses on mimicking human behavior and reasoning to solve complex problems. AI augments human thinking to solve complex problems. It focuses on providing accurate results. It simulates human thought processes to find solutions to complex problems.
Cognitive science is a kind of mind study that is used for different purposes. Well, it is multi-disciplinary filed. It is used for the study of the mind. Yes, you can check the intelligence of any person by using the applications of cognitive science. There are many people that are learning the principles to read the mind of the persons. A person can learn the process of mind-reading with the help of scientific knowledge. On the other hand, artificial intelligence is an important part of cognitive science.
There are many scientists that are getting information about human behaviour, and they are applying these things in their projects by adding some rules of computers. Many of the people develop theories by understanding human perception and thinking. It is not a difficult process to understand the mind of a person if you have skills if cognitive science.
Why is cognitive science essential?
Cognitive science is a kind of method that helps to understand the human mind. There are many people that are getting relief from their mental illness, and that is becoming possible with the help of the methods of cognitive science. On the other hand, it is used as a medication that is helpful for the care of the person from the depression. Some people are taking treatment for the schizophrenia. Mental illness is not a simple problem and can be dangerous for the life of the person that faces it. The individuals are getting a lot of the benefits from cognitive science
Some people want to become professional to learn the procedure of the treatment of illness and depression, and that is possible. If you want to learn the method, then you will have to understand the cognitive and neural process. These are the methods of the mind and used for the treatment for the mind related issues.
There are many scientists that are providing the treatment to the person related to the mental issues. On the other hand, mind-reading is helpful for machines. Some people have no information about psychology, so they need to pay attention to the article. Psychology is similar to cognitive science. Cognitive science is a function to detect the activities of a person’s mind. The virtual reality environment is a good example of cognitive. So, we have discussed why cognitive science is essentially a human’s life.
Some applications to understand:
– The individuals are using the methods of the advertisement for stores and boost sales.
– You can learn the method for getting benefits in speaking. Most of the speakers have knowledge of cognitive science.
– A person can get trained for teaching and become a teacher easily by adding social skills.
– Some people are learning international and intercultural relations with the help of cognitive skills.
– The psychological issues are solved with the help of the mind-reading procedure. The mind-reading systems work great. A person can get relief from stress easily with the help of psychological treatment.
– The protection from criminal activities can be solved with the help of criminal psychology. The investigators can understand the mind of the criminal and can protect from the next activity, and that is not a difficult procedure.
– Sometimes it is helpful for learning the methods of addicts and grieving procedures. On the other hand, it is helpful for the training skills for the military.
– Alzheimer is a kind of diseases, and that is dangerous for human. It is treated by applying the methods of cognitive science.
– The animals are also having behaviour like people. So, a person can learn the mind of the animals with the help of cognitive skills.
Why is Cognitive Science important for AI?
As AI immerses itself into a variety of professions and aspects, the use of cognitive science becomes extremely important. For any industry to benefit, they need to understand what will work for the human mind and how to please it. Since AI sets foot in these industries, it will have to perform to these standards. Here are a few examples that prove why Cognitive Science is important for AI:
- The study of the mind is an invaluable resource for almost every organization, especially education, psychology, and research. Educational organizations adopt technology to teach better and they could use AI effectively if it understands the needs of the students better.
- Engineering and medicine tools and devices need to be better equipped to gauge the coping of the human brain and simplify it for them. For example, automated cars also need to be designed in a way humans are able to understand how to work them.
- Human resources can use cognitive science to better productivity levels in individuals and grow them to the best of their potential. Any field that interacts with humans will need to have an understanding of the mental and emotional processes in human beings.
- Banking professionals providing automated financing services would also need to have a great understanding of the human mind and how to appeal to them. The tools powered by AI offered by them need to be easy for people to use.
- Personalized features in the usability of Apps need to ask the right questions to understand customer preferences and how to provide it to them. For example, personalized shopping experiences, social media face detection, social media showing related content, etc.
The Future Of AI Is “Smart” With Cognitive Science
The human brain is accustomed to accepting the natural course of things and when science contrives AI, there is a certain discomfort. What if the superficialness of the element is completely removed? What if AI is able to learn things by itself and make decisions? It is already happening. Cognitive science is what’s fueling this phenomenon. We’ll get to that eventually.
How much is AI impacting your lives today?
You’ll be surprised to find variations of AI in so many of your regular activities. When you open Google Maps to check the traffic situation, the app relies on location data and manages to analyze traffic movement based on it. This is helpful AI or Augmented AI which nudges you in a direction or attends to your needs like Alexa and Siri. When you upload pictures on facebook, it automatically detects faces and asks you to tag them.
On a larger front, Autonomous cars, flying drones, automated tasks, automated medical machines, robots, etc are also great examples of existing AIs.
In fact, this very article I am writing is getting Grammarly suggestions as I am proceeding to the next sentence. It’s saving me time and effort in proofreading and helping me improve my grammar.
AI has already indulged human beings to a large extent which confirms that it is here to stay and grow.
What is the expected future of AI?
The ‘artificial’ characteristic of AI might soon be replaced with ‘smart’ as scientists and researchers turn to cognitive science. The future of AI mainly focuses on automating tedious tasks and enabling AI to work in dangerous scenarios.
For example, automating transportation would help reduce accidents since the machine is able to possess all the required data to drive. The use of AI in healthcare would be crucial to perform complex processes at a faster pace. AI’s ability to give insights will make it more useful to most industries as it is able to acquire and store a huge amount of data. Seamless interaction and intelligent discussions with humans will make it a real part of the human world.
AI would also become very useful in tackling world issues such as climate change by suggesting ways to stop it. Some researchers question smart AI’s ability to wage wars or to be useful for human wars. This would be the antagonized version of an AI that has learned war games by itself.
AI is bound to integrate into the human world with a lot of effort, first being conquering the ability to think independently and with empathy. While scientists will use Cognitive science to replicate intelligence in AI, eventually AI will be using cognitive science to understand humans better. It will develop the ability to learn new things, make decisions by rationalizing and provide useful insights for human beings. The future is smart for AI and easier for us.
Drop your comments