The laptop white screen problem may be caused by a faulty graphics card, non-working display, malware/viruses, etc. Now, let’s go to see how to fix the white screen on laptop. Tip: In addition, you may also be bothered by the white screen on computer monitor if you are using a desktop PC If you have such problem,follow the steps below to solve it.
Modify your registry
- Enter Safe Mode by pressing windows key +r type msconfig then click on safe mode.
- In Safe Mode, press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Now enter regedit and press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:
- In the right pane, you should see a Shell string. Right-click on it and choose Delete from the menu.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, click on Yes.
Once you delete this value, restart your PC and try to start the Windows normally.
Check your graphics card
According to users, a white screen appears sometimes if your graphics card is faulty.
If the computer screen goes white as soon as you press the Power button, that’s a good indicator that something is wrong with your graphics card.
Even if the problem appears as soon as Windows starts, the issue can be your graphics card, so you might want to consider a replacement.
Since a new graphics card is costly, consider replacement only after trying all other solutions.
Remove your laptop battery
If you’re getting a white screen on your laptop, you might be able to fix the problem simply by removing your laptop battery. To see how to remove the battery, check your laptop’s instruction manual.
Once you remove the battery, make sure that your laptop is disconnected from the power cord. Now press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so.
After doing that, insert the battery again, turn on your laptop and check if the problem still persists.
Connect your PC to a different display monitor
If you’ve already checked the graphics card and everything is fine, but the white screen still appears on startup, then the issue might be caused by your display.
So, connect your device (either laptop or desktop) to an external display and see if the issue reappears.
If your graphics card is faulty, the white screen should appear on the external screen as well. If not, it means that the problem is caused by your laptop display.
Check your drivers
Several users reported that a white screen occurs on their PC because their graphics card driver is out of date. However, you can easily fix that simply by updating your graphics driver to the latest version.
Given the current issue, you might have to do this from safe mode or from a different user account that works properly. In some cases, you might even have to completely remove your graphics card driver.
To enter Safe Mode, do the following:
- Press the power button to restart the PC.
- When the Windows log appears, hold the power button for a few seconds.
- Repeat the process one more time. Upon the third restart, you should see a blue screen with several options.
- Select Troubleshoot / Advanced options / Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
- Once your PC restarts, select Safe Mode with Networking from the available list.
For a quick and hasslefree updating process, we recommend using a dedicated third-party tool – DriverFix.
What you need to do is download and install the tool, and initiate a system scan. The result will show exactly what drivers need updating, as well as recommended software picked from a huge database.
Although you could update the drivers manually, this is the safest way to run the process and make sure you don’t install the wrong component.
Run sfc/scannow command
- Right-click on Start Menu button and open Command prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow.
- Wait until the scan is finished (since the scan is deep, it could last for a while).
- Restart your computer and see if the white screen still appears.
Please drop your comment.