WHAT IS COMPUTER SECURITY?
Computer security, cybersecurity or information technology security is the protection of computer systems and networks from information disclosure, theft of or damage to their hardware, software, or electronic data, as well as from the disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.
Types of Computer Security
- Application Security. Application security is the types of cyber security which developing application by adding security features within applications to prevent from cyber attacks. …
- Information security.
- Network Security.
- Endpoint Security.
- Internet Security.
What is a cyber risk assessment?
Cyber risk assessments are defined as risk assessments are used to identify, estimate, and prioritize risk to organizational operations, organizational assets, individuals, other organizations, and the Nation, resulting from the operation and use of information systems.
The primary purpose of a cyber risk assessment is to help inform decision-makers and support proper risk responses. They also provide an executive summary to help executives and directors make informed decisions about security. The information security risk assessment process is concerned with answering the following questions:
- What are our organization’s most important information technology assets?
- What data breach would have a major impact on our business whether from malware, cyber attack or human error? Think customer information.
- What are the relevant threats and the threat sources to our organization?
- What are the internal and external vulnerabilities?
- What is the impact if those vulnerabilities are exploited?
- What is the likelihood of exploitation?
- What cyber attacks, cyber threats, or security incidents could impact affect the ability of the business to function?
- What is the level of risk my organization is comfortable taking?
If you can answer those questions, you will be able to make a determination of what to protect. This means you can develop IT security controls and data security strategies to mitigate risk. Before you can do that though, you need to answer the following questions:
- What is the risk I am reducing?
- Is this the highest priority security risk?
- Am I reducing the risk in the most cost-effective way?
This will help you understand the information value of the data you are trying to protect and allow you to better understand your information risk management process in the scope of protecting business needs.
Core Principles of Cyber Security
- Confidentiality – Information that is sensitive or confidential must remain so, and should be accessible to authorised users only.
- Integrity – For information to retain its integrity, it must not be altered from its original state
- Availability – Information and systems must always be available to authorised users when needed.
Importance of Computer Security in Organizations Today
- To preserve company assets – Company assets include information kept in the computer networks, which are every bit as vital and useful as the physical assets of the company.
- To conform with governing requirements and moral responsibilities – Each organization creates policies and procedures which deal with the security requirements of the organization in question.
- For competitive benefit – Financial services and e-commerce considers network security to be of prime importance.
- To help curb the increasing volume and sophistication of cyber security threats – Threats of this nature include targeting phishing scams, data theft, and the exploitation of other vulnerabilities in the network.
The internet can be a dangerous place: thousands of attacks per minute can infiltrate a network and cause serious, long-term harm. An unprotected computer can become impacted or damaged within the first few seconds after being connected to the network.
A weakened computer is a threat to everyone. A hacked computer can be used to do the following:
- Record keystrokes and steal passwords
- Send spam and phishing emails
- Harvest and sell email addresses and passwords
- Gain access to restricted or personal information on your computer, or on other systems that you have access to
- Infect other systems with viruses and other malware
- Conceal programs that launch attacks on other computers
- Illegally disseminate music, movies and software
- Distribute child pornography
- Produce great volumes of traffic, slowing down the whole system
A weakened computer can be utilised for all kinds of harmful purposes.
Many internet security hazards can be prevented. Here are some of the ways computer users can protect themselves against security breaches:
- Use strong, ambiguous passwords that can’t be easily predicted, and keep them secret.
- Ensure that your computer, devices and applications are updated with the latest version of the operating system in question.
- Ensure that your computer is secured with up-to-date antivirus and anti-spyware software.
- Ignore unknown or unsolicited links and attachments. Don’t download unfamiliar files or programs onto your computer or other devices.
- Remember that data, especially passwords transmitted through typical wireless connections, is very easy for hackers to capture.
- Look for ‘https’ in the URL before you input any confidential information or a password. The added s in https means secure, and guarantees a degree of protection not afforded by the standard http markup.
- Avoid using normal, unencrypted e-mail and unencrypted Instant Messaging if you’re concerned about confidentiality.
Consequences for Security Violations
- Risk to both the security and the integrity of personal or confidential information
- Identity theft
- Data corruption or destruction
- Unavailability of critical information in an emergency
- Loss of valuable business information
- Loss of employee and public trust, embarrassment, and bad publicity, which can take the form of media coverage, online articles, and news reports
- Costly reporting requirements in the case of certain types of personal, financial, and health information being compromised
- Internal disciplinary action(s), up to and including termination of employment, as well as possible penalties, prosecution and the potential for sanctions / lawsuits
Computer security is the protection of computers, as well as of the data that the computers hold. Computer security measures can encompass anything, from protecting computers with passwords to setting up firewalls—it’s important to familiarise yourself with as many different measures as you can in order to ensure that you give your data and your devices as much protection as possible.
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD COMPUTER SECURITY E-BOOK HERE
Open google, type computer security ebooks pdf download the ones of your choice.
Drop your comment.